Parents Right to Know
The No Child Left Behind Federal law requires that the Montgomery Area School District notify parents of all children in Title I schools of their right to request information regarding the professional qualifications of their children’s classroom teachers. “No Child Left Behind Act” (NCLB) that was signed into law by President Bush on January 8, 2002. If you would like to request this information, please contact the Montgomery district office. Click here to download this page
- Increased accountability for states and school districts.
- Greater choice for parents, especially those in low performing schools.
- Greater flexibility for state and local education agencies in the use of federal funding.
Under NCLB, parents have a right to request professional qualifications of their children’s teacher(s) or paraprofessional(s). This letter is to inform you of your right to ask for the following information about your children’s classroom teachers or paraprofessionals:
- Whether Pennsylvania has licensed the teacher for the grades and subjects he or she teaches.
- Whether the teacher is teaching under emergency or other provisional status through which Pennsylvania licensing criteria have been waived.
- The teacher’s baccalaureate degree major and whether the teacher has any advance degrees, and if so, the subject of the degrees.
- Whether the child is provided services by paraprofessionals and, if so, their qualifications.